[Ads-l] Snasu (variant), was Re: Antedating of "Snafu" by Barry Popik

Tue Nov 24 21:56:54 UTC 2020

Thanks Stephen. I agree that the "snasu" variant is interesting. Many
thanks, Ben, for locating my message about "snasu" from the
antediluvian age.

I just located an interesting instance of "S N A F U" in March 1940.
Unfortunately, this "S N A F U" might be illusory. See the following
description.

Date: March 12, 1940
Newspaper: Detroit Evening Times
Newspaper Location: Detroit, Michigan
Section: Detroit Times Daily Magazine Page
Article: Wishing Well (puzzle)
Quote Page 12, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com
Database: British Newspaper Archive
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
WISHING WELL

4 3 6 5 8 2 4 6 7 3 5 8 4
B A S N A F U U R C E C Y

2 6 7 3 8 4 6 5 8 7 2 4 6
L C E O T T C W O U A H E

4 3 6 5 7 8 4 2 6 8 3 5 6
E M S I N N U T S I P N I
[End excerpt]

Above are the top six rows from a puzzle with 14 rows. The puzzle
contains the following contiguous sequence of five letters "S N A F
U". The puzzle also contains the following sequence "N U T S".

It is possible that a mischievous puzzle constructor deliberately
inserted "S N A F U" and "N U T S". However, the solution to the
puzzle is unrelated to these sequences, so I guess we have to assume
that these sequences were simply coincidental.

I also came across another variant acronym "Susfu" with a June 1942
citation. The meaning is not explained in this citation, but I found
another instance that decoded the first two letters as "Situation
unchanged"; hence, "Situation unchanged still fouled up".