[Ads-l] Pronunciation of Appalachia

Joe Salmons 000008f18d0e0c45-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Tue Nov 24 23:07:25 UTC 2020

Thanks. Yeah, the fricative / affricate deal is there for sure. What’s the distinction for the trail?

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 at 5:00 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Pronunciation of Appalachia
I happen to have three linguist-authored pronouncing dictionaries.

Daniel Jones (1949, tenth ed.) gives /ei/
Kenyon and Knott (1953) gives /ae/
JC Wells (1990) gives /ei/

But there's a further variable, which I discovered by
accident, namely whether the 'ch' is an affricate
('church') or a fricative ('shush')

Furthermore, I find I distinguish between the place name
(Appalachia) and the trail name (Appalachian). And so does
JC Wells.

Curiouser and curiouser….

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
https://clasprofiles.wayne.edu/profile/an6993
geoffnathan at wayne.edu