[Ads-l] More Intriguing Early Citations Relating to "Whole Nine Yards"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Oct 2 12:04:32 UTC 2020

Quite intriguing, Fred.

I have previously suggested, more than once, we be open to non-sewing-cloth possibilities. I'm away from my notes, but here's one from my old posts:

Anyway, what do y'all make of it as
related, or not, to
"the whole nine yards"?

"Buck Campbell, the
more or less baseball expert of
The Winston-Salem Journal, took the
trouble to pen Left Hook a long letter,
in which he told all there was good
to tell about the Twin-City. Buck wrote
everything that was on his mind.--
Asheville Citizen.
You shouldn't be so hard on
ol'/the/our [?--uncertain letters]
Lefty. Remember there is a board of
censors here. that is the reason you
got the nine yards of blank paper."

Winston-Salem Journal 04-01-1917 page 10, col. 7.
America's Historical Newspapers
http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/HistArchive/?p_product=EANX&p_theme=ahnp&p_nbid=Y5DJ5APQMTM3ODk5OTE5MS44NTg3OTI6MToxMzoxNTIuMy4yMDguMTk2&p_action=doc&s_lastnonissuequeryname=3&d_viewref=search&p_queryname=3&p_docnum=5&p_docref=v2:13871D95C4CF3082@EANX-13A125ED5005AB35@2421320-1393078DC53BBAB2@9-13A1BC0586281878@

Stephen Goranson