[Ads-l] "filled a sheet nine yards long," 1654 or 1655

dave at WILTON.NET dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Oct 5 18:43:44 UTC 2020

At issue is whether the phrase "nine yards" was an idiom meaning the
entirety of or an excessive amount of, as opposed to there being no such
idiom and such appearances are simple exaggerations. To determine that, you
need to do a statistical comparison of the number of instances of figurative
uses of "one yard," "two yards," "three yards," "four yards," ... "nine
yards," "ten yards," "eleven yards," etc. If "nine yards" appears
significantly more frequently than other numbers, then such early uses might
be legitimate precursors to the idiom "the whole nine yards." If not, then
no such early idiom existed.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the argument about "copasetic." That's
an entirely different question. As a general rule, the first recorded
appearance of a word is rarely the earliest actual use. Usually, words are
used in speech or ephemeral writing for some period of time before appearing
in a recorded source. And often a person may believe they coined it, when in
fact earlier uses can be shown (e.g., Beyonce and "bootylicious). A good
example is the declining number of first citations by Shakespeare in the
OED. Every three months, as the OED publishes updated entries, the count
decreases a bit as antedatings are discovered. It may very well be that
Bacheller coined the word for his 1919 novel, but we shouldn't assume that
unless we have solid evidence that it is the case. And in fact, the
appearance of the word in unconnected newspaper articles and in song over
the next year or so indicate that the term was in wider use by the time
Bacheller used it.