[Ads-l] "Talk like a man with a paper ass"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 5 08:53:30 UTC 2020

When I was in the War, 1959-1962, the expression was,

"... sound/talk like a man with a paper _asshole_."

Hadn't heard it before. Haven't heard it since. I found the use of the
phrase to be so vague that I was never able to understand what it was
supposed to mean. (I apologize for commenting like a man with a paper
asshole.)

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 1:54 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 'To talk nonsense.'  Common in WW2.
>
> These seem to be the earliest traces:
>
> 1895 *St. Louis-Post Dispatch* of (Nov. 15)  3: “Naw, I weren’t born in dis
> here place….You talk like a man wid a paper nose.”
>
> 1906 P*rovidence Evening Bulletin (*March 23) 3:“You talk like a man with a
> paper knee.”
>
> Not that these make any more sense.  Nor does the common form "...asshole."
>

> JL
> --

-Wilson
-----