[Ads-l] Adage: Beauty=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=only skin deep, but ugliness goes to the bone

Margaret Lee 0000006730deb3bf-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Oct 9 10:30:43 UTC 2020

 "God don't like ugly" is an expression from the African American oral tradition and defined as referring to "some negative action,  behavior, or attitude displeasing to the Creator, and you will be punished."  (Geneva Smitherman, _Black Talk_, 2000, p.151).
The Temptations' hit  "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" was recorded in 1966.
--Margaret Lee