[Ads-l] Yolo as a Verb?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 25 18:27:56 UTC 2020

See "Among the New Words" in _American Speech_ 88(2) (Summer 2013), p. 213,
where we document "YOLO" as an intransitive verb from Sep. 2006 (and the
verbal noun "YOLOing" from shortly thereafter):

http://bit.ly/ATNW88-2

See also my Aug. 2012 Boston Globe column for the verb/verbal noun:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2012/08/25/what-yolo-only-teenagers-know-for-sure/Idso04FecrYzLa4KOOYpXO/story.html
"The word has also found favor as a verb, as in this Yelp review of a
Jersey City pizzeria: 'All the times I come home after a night of YOLO-ing,
I crave a delish slice to soak up the booze and sober me up.'"

--bgz