[Ads-l] a "won't you come up to Limerick" proposed event, 1879

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Oct 28 08:39:06 UTC 2020

And, a few days later, comes news of another, slightly later, 1879 relevant usage. From Doug Harris:

The Oxford and Cambridge Undergraduate's Journal, Thurs, Nov. 20, 1879, 110/2:

[...]nobody can be sulky when the songs have begun...and when every soul has contributed his humble mite to that great resource of inventive talent--the Limerick rhymes."

Stephen Goranson

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Hh8PAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA110&dq=%22limerick+rhymes%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNn66FydLsAhWmUxUIHbgNA1oQ6AEwAnoECAEQAg#v=onepage&q=%22limerick%20rhymes%22&f=false
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2020 12:16 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: a "won't you come up to Limerick" proposed event, 1879

Sporting Notes (also sometimes called The Pink 'un), London, issue 805, Sat. Feb. 22, 1879, 1/2:

Labby, love, doesn't it seem to you that your acquaintance with nursery rhymes of an erotic character is very great? Because it does to us. You would be a good man at roundabout. You had better bring over all your staff (except Miss Cobbe) here some fine Friday, and we will have a won't you come up, come up, oh, won't you come up to Limerick, oh, won't you come up, come up, oh _won't_ you come to Limerick, of a high order. We'll have that Bishop who maligned you in the _Guardian_ in the chair.

S. Goranson

Recall, among others, 1880 uses noted here of:

There was a young rustic named Mallory

Who earned but a very poor salary.

He went to the show,

But his purse was so

That he sat in the uppermost gallery.

Tune: wont you come [up] to Limerick

and

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=31647__;!!OToaGQ!5Zyh7DmVTVMO0t7ZmS1Mp9fVv2kqurJJ-WUe6JLAbQFZoTHO-3n5C_psKefdFBMX$
Language Log » Limerick Poems and Civil Wars<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=31647__;!!OToaGQ!5Zyh7DmVTVMO0t7ZmS1Mp9fVv2kqurJJ-WUe6JLAbQFZoTHO-3n5C_psKefdFBMX$ >
26 Comments Robert Coren said, March 18, 2017 @ 9:42 am In my personal opinion, the limerick cited at the head of this article would scan slightly better (and make a little more sense, if anyone cares) if the fourth line were "But his purse was so low".
languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu