[Ads-l] Loxism

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 30 18:12:13 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 8:59 AM James Landau <
00000c13e57d49b8-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu> wrote:

> The following is extracted from Fahrenheit 411 (itself an intersesting
> neologism), which is a mailing list from the Forward newspaper.  The entire
> article is at
> https://forward.com/news/457260/fahrenheit-411-loxism-is-not-the-belief-in-lox/

 <snip>

> Some antisemites explain their belief in "loxism' by quoting the French
> enlightenment writer Voltaire, who said "To learn who rules over you,
> simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

This raised an eyebrow, but when I clicked through to the article it was
already corrected to read:

---
Some antisemites explain their belief in "loxism" by citing a quote
frequently misattributed the French enlightenment writer Voltaire, "To
learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to
criticize." It actually originated from the American white supremacist
Kevin Alfred Strom.
---

There's also a correction notice at the end of the article.

--bgz