[Ads-l] years young

Fri Sep 4 02:46:27 UTC 2020

"Charcoal Sketches: Second Series" appeared in 1848. (My previous
message pointed to the 1850 edition of the book.)

But there is earlier evidence for the template. Here is an 1843
citation for "fifty years—young" with the pertinent sense.

Year: 1843
Title: Jack's Edition of Life At Sea; Or, The Jervian System in 183__:
Being a Series of Letters by an Old Irish Captain of the Head to His Nephew
Publisher: Samuel J. Machen, Dublin, Ireland
Letter XXIII
Start Page 222, Quote Page 233

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nnc1.cu58506896
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nnc1.cu58506896?urlappend=%3Bseq=251

[Begin excerpt]
The chief of the party, who was the abbot or
superior, was the finest and handsomest man that I
think I ever saw, of rather more than the average
stature, and proportionately stout was he, of about
fifty years—young, for I can hardly say old, as he
carried their weight so well, and seemed so little the
worse for wear. The few remaining hairs on his head
were white as snow, and added greatly to the vener-
able appearance of a most benevolent countenance;
whilst from his chin depended, as low as the hempen
girdle which encircled his waist, a beard partially gray,
and slightly grizzled.
[End excerpt]