[Ads-l] The rise and predicted decline of "dark store"

Mon Sep 7 17:32:10 UTC 2020

Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> Amazon continues to open new Whole Foods "dark stores", so it's demise may
> not come as quick as you think.

Thanks for your response, Dan. I agree that the predicted demise of
"dark store" may take many years to come true. Also, the prediction
might be wrong.

Tesco was one of the pioneers of "dark stores", but this 2014 article
in "The Guardian" indicates that the company was already building
specialized warehouses to fulfill online orders. Goods are located in
"towers of blue crates". It is not really possible for a conventional
shopper to walk through the aisles and gather goods. So the label
"store" might be considered misleading.

Website: The Guardian
Article: Inside the supermarkets' dark stores
Author: Leo Benedictus
Date: 7 Jan 2014 10.54 EST
https://www.theguardian.com/business/shortcuts/2014/jan/07/inside-supermarkets-dark-stores-online-shopping

[Begin excerpt]
Elsewhere, they look like nothing you've ever seen. At Tesco's sixth
and newest dark store in Erith, south-east London, they operate what
is basically a giant robot butler, although they call it a
"goods-to-person pickstation" and a "dotcom centre" (the supermarkets
themselves aren't keen on the term "dark store"). Instead of laying
out the groceries in aisles, at Erith they store most of them more
efficiently in towers of blue crates. The robot extracts whatever is
needed and brings it to the picker, who stands still (until it's time
to visit the freezer).
[End excerpt]

Here is a YouTube video of the warehouse.
Building a multichannel Tesco
Dec 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QONyKR0KdYs

Nevertheless, some anachronistic terms persist. So "dark store" might
persist. In addition, some "dark stores" are open to the public during
limited hours. Some are open to restricted sets of people, e.g.,
people who are vulnerable to Covid19. Maybe the label "partially dark
stores" makes sense.

Garson