[Ads-l] Antedating of "Folk-Etymology"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 8 04:10:57 UTC 2020

Folk etymology folk etymology":

During the 1820s and 1830s, when parents west of the Cumberland Gap were more commonly referred to as one's "folks," and before the railroads more regularly brought professional entertainers to small, rustic hamlets, it was common for parents to entertain their households on cold winter evenings.  One popular form of entertainment, a precursor to Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories", was to fabricate fanciful histories. A subset of such faux histories included elaborate, false, yet plausible word histories; the more believable the better. Since they were created and presented by parents, "folks," they became known as folks' etymologies, later shortened to folk etymology.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, September 7, 2020 12:57:15 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Folk-Etymology"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>

The 1874 article ("Slavonic Literary History") is here -- "folk-etymology"
is indeed given as a calque of German "Volksetymologie":

https://books.google.com/books?id=3DcNc9AQAAIAAJ&pg=3DPA675

The German term dates to 1852, from Ernst F=C3=B6rstemann's article "Ueber
Deutsche volksetymologie."

--bgz