[Ads-l] Antedating of "Presbyterian"

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Sep 8 15:00:03 UTC 2020

Sorry about the error in the dates. I quickly scanned the Wikipedia entry for the play
and misread something. It’s a weird play - Will probably didn't write it alone,
and it originally had a different title (All is True).

The play is notable in that a stage cannon shot during an early (or the first)
performance set fire to the roof and succeeded in burning down the Globe. This
happened in 1613.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
geoffnathan at wayne.edu

From: Geoffrey Nathan<mailto:geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 7:02 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Presbyterian"

[EXTERNAL]

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>

Only marginally relevant, but interesting to me was the occurrence of
the word "Lutheran" in Shakespeare's play Henry VIII, written in 1630.
However, the OED has a cite from 100 years earlier, 1530, in a letter by
Thomas Cromwell. It seems to have originally meant any kind of Protestant.

geoffnathan at wayne.edu