[Ads-l] Antedating of "Aviator"

Sun Sep 13 17:46:51 UTC 2020

The first sense for "aviator" listed in the OED corresponds to the
flying machine itself and not the pilot. The citations begin in 1891.

Below is an 1867 citation for "aviator" that corresponds to a flying
machine. In addition, below is an 1873 citation which describes a
flying machine called an "aviator". I suspect that this is the same
machine mentioned in the 1867 citation.

The 1873 device is a balloon with wings. The wings can flap because
they are attached to a "one-horse power engine". The device is
supposed to be steerable via a rudder.

Since the 1873 flying machine was a balloon it was probably
lighter-than-air. This is important because the OED sense suggests
that the "aviator" machine was heavier-than-air. I think it would be
natural to enlarge the sense of "aviator" to encompass the early
flying machines that were labelled "aviator" and were
lighter-than-air.

[Begin information from OED]
aviator, n.
1. A heavier-than-air aircraft; a flying-machine (aeroplane n. 2).
Also attributive. Obsolete.

1891   Brooklyn Morning Jrnl. 22 July 1/6 (Funk)   Mr. Maxim's
invention is called an Aviator. It is in form like a huge kite of
silk, to which hangs a platform carrying the engines and the screw
propellers.
[End information from OED]