[Ads-l] "judged by 12"

Mon Sep 14 00:45:42 UTC 2020

Barry Popik has a webpage on this saying with a first citation dated
January 31, 1973.

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/its_better_to_be_judged_by_twelve_than_to_be_carried_by_six_police_saying

[Begin excerpt from barrypopik.com]
31 January 1973, New York (NY) Times, “Official Ban Ignored: Police
Carry Extra Guns Despite Department Ban Weapons Carried Junkies With
Weapons” by Christopher S. Wren, pg. 85:

“We have been told that if we get caught in the car with anything
other than a .38, we’ll have charges brought against us,” said one
young patrolman from the 83d Precinct, which covers the Bushwick
section of Brooklyn. “But it’s better to be judged by 12 men than
carried by six. That’s the motto around here.”
[End excerpt]

Garson