[Ads-l] Words of appreciation for Fred (was Antedating of "Journalist" (2nd try))

Mon Sep 14 03:37:03 UTC 2020

Gerald Leonard Cohen wrote:
> Might I be the first on this listserv to thank Fred for his prodigious
> work in providing antedatings.  Kudos!  There's a wealth of material
> there, and in particular I'm grateful for the two he provided for the term
> ragtime.
> Gerald Cohen

I second Gerald Cohen's remarks of appreciation. Thanks to Fred for
all his marvelous work performing linguistic excavations for words /
quotations, and thanks for sharing the results with the OED and the
world.
Garson O'Toole