[Ads-l] Antedating of "Oldie"

Mon Sep 14 03:53:57 UTC 2020

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> oldie (OED, 2., 1938)
> 1937 _Variety_ 13 Jan. [record review] in Elijah Wald _How the Beatles Destroyed Rock 'n' Roll_ (2009) 276

Excellent work. Here is a citation a few years earlier for the desired
sense of oldie. For completeness I include an OED excerpt.

[Begin excerpt from OED]
oldie, n.
 2. Something old or familiar, esp. an old song, tune, or film which
is still popular; also in oldie-but-goodie. Also: a well-known or
hackneyed idea or joke; a cliché.
[End excerpt]