[Ads-l] "V-card" (1983)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 16 20:54:34 UTC 2020

The latest OED3 update (Sep. 2020) includes an entry for _V-card_ meaning
"virginity, often in _to lose one's V-card_: to lose one's virginity." The
earliest citation given is from a 1995 Usenet newsgroup post, but I
definitely remember this in high school usage in New Jersey in the
mid-'80s. Here it is in a newspaper at a Nashville girls' prep school from
1983 -- the meaning isn't spelled out, but I think it's implied given the
context.

---
https://archive.org/details/logosii198305/page/n5/mode/1up
_Logos II_, Harpeth Hall School (Nashville, Tenn.), May 1983, p. 6, col. 1
"Seniors' Final Words"
I, Anna Amacher, of sound mind and overworked dancer's body, do hereby
leave the following... to anybody with the desire to turn in her V-card, I
leave Victor Deupi.
---

I wouldn't be surprised if it could be found in other high school/college
publications from that era, perhaps used less cryptically.

--bgz