[Ads-l] Plate Glass Skip - like Monday Morning Quarterback

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 23 00:12:55 UTC 2020

We've discussed "Monday Morning Quarterback" here before.  Ben Zimmer
wrote a piece for the Wall Street Journal last year, and I've posted
twice about it on my blog.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2016-December/145513.html

My first post was about the earliest use of "Monday Morning Quarterback"
in 1931.

My second post was about all sorts of predecessor idioms, including
"Grandstand Quarterback," "Cigar Store Quarterback," "Sunday Morning
Quarterback," and "Drugstore Quarterback," as well as numerous later
variants including "Radio," "TV," "Living Room," and "Drugstore."

In a post here and in his column, Ben Zimmer noted similarities with
earlier idioms like "Armchair critic/strategist/general" and "Armchair
warriors."

I recently stumbled across "Plate Glass Skip," three decades earlier
than MMQ, which led me to uncover a whole slough of earlier
second-guessing and similar idioms.  The earliest I found was "arm-chair
politician" (1820).  Later examples included combinations and iterations
of places from which someone was second guessed (armchairs, easy chairs,
crossroads, curbstones, soap boxes, cracker barrels and the plate glass
at a curling rink) and people being second guessed (politicians,
generals, soldiers, managers, umpires, coaches, quarterbacks and the
skip on a curling team).

Plate glass skip was mentioned as early as 1903, in an account of a tour
by Scottish curlers through Canada.  The latest example I've seen in
print was as recently as 2006.

[Excerpt] Edinburgh, Scotsman. “Plate-glass skips” is a phrase with
which the Scottish curlers have become familiar in their progress
through Canada.  These are the curling equivalents of arm-chair
politicians.  When the matches are being played in the covered rinks out
here these gentlemen seat themselves in the comfortable parlors which
overlook the rinks, and are protected from the cold by plate-glass
fronts.[End Excerpt]

Ottawa Journal (Ottawa, Canada), March 14, 1903, page 17.

I've posted a draft post about the various combinations and iterations,
with tangents into  the history of cracker barrels, "hot stove" baseball
leagues and soap boxes.

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2020/09/cracker-barrels-hot-stoves-and-soap.html