[Ads-l] Adage: Beauty=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=only skin deep, but ugliness goes to the bone

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 26 14:45:15 UTC 2020

1859 _North Carolina University Magazine_ (March) 329:
Let him remember, however,

    Beauty's but skin deep,
      Ugly's to the bone;
    Beauty ever fades away,
      Ugly holds its own.

Don't ignore the early appearance of nominalized "ugly."

JL