[Ads-l] Historical and literary present.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 29 12:09:20 UTC 2020

That's a relief!

But you must mean, "anti-linguistic prejudice."

Exx.:

1864 Albert B. Harkness _A Latin Grammar for Schools and Colleges_ (N.Y.:
D. Appleton) 215:  The historical present may sometimes be best rendered by
the English Imperfect, and sometimes by the English Present, as that has a
similar historical use.

1917 John Marcellus Steadman, Jr. _The Origin of the Historical Present in
English_  (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Studies in Philology
XIV, ): The historical present in English has received little careful
study. The statements made in the various historical grammars are general
and, at times, extremely vague.

II

1939 W. G. Johnson _Beginning Swedish_ (Rock Island. Ill.:  Augustana):
201: Memorize the following forms of the modals: Infinitive. Present.
Literary Present Plural. Past Literary Past Plural. Supine.

HathiTrust alleges the appearance iof "literary present" in George O.
Curme's _Syntax_ (1930) but won't let me see it.

JL