[Ads-l] moneker, moniker (and many other spellings)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 30 19:07:54 UTC 2020

> On Sep 30, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I have seen a number of "nomicker" in the early 1900s.
> Not clear whether it's a typo or a misunderstanding influenced by "nom de . . .”

Or misunderstanding it as an anti-Irish slur.

Watkins’s AHD Dictionary of Indo-European Roots tracks “moniker” back to a Celtic source (OIr “ainm") and ultimately tp PIE *no-men (along with “name” and Lat. “nomen”) in which case the apparent metathesis in “nomicker” would be on sounder grounds than I’d have guessed.