[Ads-l] "Who was Kilroy?" June 26, 1945 (in-print antedating?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 18:09:37 UTC 2021

Life (March 8, 1946) has a significant column by Elizabeth Reeves entitled,
"Wot! Chad's Here / Britain's war gremlin becomes a symbol of civilian
problems." The accompanying drawing shows the familiar nose looking over a
brick wall with a question mark over the bald dome, but with the unusual
detail of a plus sign in one eye and a minus in the other. There seems to
be a minus sign near the end of the nose as well.

"The history of Mr. Chad is blanketed in mystery. Like Topsy and...the
R.A.F. gremlins, it seems he just 'growed.'  Army and air force hotly
contend for the honor of having discovered him.  Both generally agree he
started to patronize the various armed forces about two years ago, although
his Cockney tag lines were common army currency long before."

But read all about it for yourself, starting on p. 17:

tinyurl.com/ywh79mhp

JL