[Ads-l] "Lagniappe" (slight antedating, 1846)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 4 01:51:32 UTC 2021

Thanks to Bonnie for the pointer to the Twain et al. on “lagniappe”, and to the temporary link to the full article.  I’m convinced: Quechua _yapa_ > Spanish (la) ñapa > reanalysis of article > Louisiana French /la'niap/.  So be it.

I find far more remarkable Gillet's proffered derivation (pp. 97-8) of “bull” (‘deceit, falsehood, nonsense’, as in "shoot the bull") from a Gypsy source designating ‘anus’ or possibly sexual parts with no relation whatsoever to “bullshit” or, indeed, to the male bovine Gillet delicately identifies as the “cow-brute”.  As someone doing research on bullshit (although not on “bullshit”), I would be curious to know if anyone has given credence to this proposed etym(yth?)ology.  Would the editor of the Historical Dictionary of American Slang, which (Volume I, p. 298) attributes the relevant sense of “bull” (‘lies, flattery, insincerity, nonsense, empty talk, etc.’) to (of all things!) a truncation of “bullshit”, care to defend his work?

LH