[Ads-l] haggard, (the service/haggard) bitch

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 9 17:54:38 UTC 2021

My brother tells me that a “haggard bitch” is someone who goes out to do one-off/minor service electrical jobs. Such jobs are a pain to do but pay well. He says that they are more generally known as “service bitches.” He says that specifically the terms are used as “the haggard bitch” or “the service bitch” (accompanied by laughter) and that they are pretty “universal." He followed up with an inquiry to the HVAC service person who reportedly said, “I am a service bitch.”

1. This meaning of “haggard” is not in the HDAS, Wiktionary, or Lexico.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=krumpty <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=krumpty>
by Righteous rick & epic ericson February 14, 2014

###
A haggard bitch, busted as fuck.
###
###

2. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Haggard <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Haggard>
by megz March 24, 2005

###
But it is mostly used like you would use ugly, stupid, messed up, nasty, etc. in the sentances below.

that is the ugliest suit i have ever seen.
that is the stupidest stuit i have ever seen.
that is the nastiest suit i have ever seen.
that is the most haggard suit i have ever seen.
###
###

I don’t think the meaning of “servant/doer or menial jobs” for “bitch” is surprising, particularly considering how “wench” (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wench <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wench>) works, but I had a difficult time finding it, though it could be argued that the laughter accompanying the use above means that the Lexico, UD and Wiktionary definitions below do fit.

3. Lexico (https://www.lexico.com/definition/bitch <https://www.lexico.com/definition/bitch>) came the closest of the dictionaries I checked:

A person who is completely subservient to another.
‘They're just being Vince's little bitches.’
‘We're not totally against the idea, but only if he appears as Jar Jar's bitch.’
‘Who's going to be the bitch now?’
 ‘It certainly should not come as a surprise that his bitch might bring it up.’

4. My guess is that Urban Dictionary has the meaning, but I quit after six pages of nearly 190 with this:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bitch&page=3 <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bitch&page=3>
by Jedidiah October 23, 2002

###
(2) Person who rides specifically in the middle of a front-seatting only car meant for 2 passengers or less.
(3) Modern-day servant; A person who performs tasks for another, usually degrading in status.
###
###

5. Googling on the UD, I found “someones bitch” (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Someones%20bitch <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Someones%20bitch>) with a similar meaning but nothing exact.

6. Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bitch <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bitch>) does not have this meaning. The closest definition is:
(vulgar, offensive) A submissive person who does what others want; (prison slang) a man forced or coerced into a homoerotic relationship. [

7. Merriam-Webster (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bitch <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bitch>) also has: informal : something that is extremely difficult, objectionable, or unpleasant

8. HDAS has 4b "something that is … unpleasant, or difficult," but does not have this meaning.

9. "Dish bitch” is the person who has the job washing dishes such as in a restaurant

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dish%20Bitch <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dish%20Bitch>
by Jordan Nave June 15, 2007

###
A dish bitch is a person who is hired to wash dishes at a restaurant, but gets more jobs than washing dishes.
###
###

10. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dish_bitch <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dish_bitch>

(slang, derogatory) An employee of a restaurant who washes dishware, typically a minimum wage position where workers are not well-treated.
(slang, derogatory) In journalism, reporters who appear via satellite connections, and correspondingly have to be close to their satellite dishes.

11. https://twitter.com/servicebiitch <https://twitter.com/servicebiitch>
An Aussie Twitter account

###
I'm a customer service bitch who does admin and sales for a luxury glamping company.
###
###

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA