[Ads-l] "Brouhaha" (in English usage; antedating to 1819)

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Mon Apr 12 07:08:09 UTC 2021

Although I don't qualify, except in the most minimal sense, as a
"dictionary maker" (I do supply words, and uses of words, as a member of
populations represented in dictionaries), my response to Garson's
question may be (just as minimally) worthwhile.

The use of 'brouhaha' in Smollet's translation of _Gil Blas_ (1781)
remains French, rather than English. 'Brouhaha' is translated as "a note
of applause" in the footnote because the word has not yet been fully
assimilated into the target language, at least in the perception of the
translator.

The footnoted gloss of 'brouhaha' in the translation suggests at least
that the social dimension of lexical transference is not yet completely
realized, although the evidence of the gloss could easily be outweighed
by other evidence (which is in this case lacking, so far as I can
discover). The extent of the linguistic dimension of transference, so
far as it differs from the social, remains opaque to me. I have no
evidence that the phonology of 'brouhaha' is English in English speech
in 1781 (1748), rather than French, and the plural form, 'brouhahas',
while evidenced somewhat later (see below), is sometimes the same in
French as English, although Cotgrave's 1611 evidence implies the plural
'brouhoux' was also in use (see below; Miege's derivative 1679
_Dictionary of Barbarous French_ omits 'brouhoux'). Further, I found no
early evidence of derived English forms such as, for example,
'brouhahaness', 'brouhahaing', etc.

While lexicographers are too often the imperfect instruments of
editorial policies (written or unwritten, stated or understood),
policies in turn supported, or not, by a complex stew of methodological
bases (see Durkin's 2014 _Borrowed Words_), my own 'policy'--more a weak
heuristic--is that if a word is not fully assimilated it will be glossed
in the surrounding text, however distantly or indirectly.

Later evidence than Cotgrave's, Miege's, and Smollet's, but earlier than
1810, presented below, does suggest that 'brouhaha' had been
sufficiently assimilated into English by 1800, in the social dimension
if not the linguistic, to be considered part of the English lexicon, for
my own and, I assume, the purposes of at least some contemporary
dictionaries.

-----

>From Cotgrave's 1611 Dictionary of the French and English Tongues:

<extract>
Brouaz : m. *as* Brouhaha.
Brouée : f. *A miſt, or fog; alſo, as* Brouhaha ; *or* Boucade ; *a
bluſtering or violent paſſion, or perturbation.*
Brouhaha : m. *A bluſter; hurry, hurlyburly*.
Brouhoux : m. *Stormes, bluſters; hurlyburlies*.
<fromtitle>A dictionarie of the French and English tongues </fromtitle>
<place>London </place>
<publishedby>Adam Islip </publishedby>
<date>1611 </date>
<scanpage>142 </scanpage>
<collection>HathiTrust; Google Books </collection>
<url>
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/osu.32435017716812?urlappend=%3Bseq=142
<accessdate>11apr2021 </accessdate>
</url>
</extract>

>From Smollet's translation (originally published anonymously in 1748) of
_Gil Blas_, as published in 1781:

<extract>
The applauſes began with the prologue; every verſe was attended with a
*brouhaha* ꝉ! and at the end of each act there was ſuch a clapping of
hands, that one would have thought the houſe was falling.
† A note of applauſe
<fromtitle>The Novelist's Magazine </fromtitle>
<place>London </place>
<publishedby>Harrison and Co. </publishedby>
<date>1781 </date>
<volume>Volume IV </volume>
<page>319 </page>
<collection>HathiTrust; Google Books </collection>
<scanpage>339 </scanpage>
<url>
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433066603402?urlappend=%3Bseq=339
<accessdate>11apr2021 </accessdate>
</url>
</extract>

>From an 1800 translation of Johann Georg Zimmermann's _Aphorisms and
Reflections_. The anonymous translator's use of 'brouhaha' seems fully
assimilated into English:

<extract>
You are not at peace with yourſelf, if you cannot ſee the diurnal
routine of luxury, hear the brouhahas of the enraptured throng, or
witneſs the extravagant freaks of joy, without repining.
<title>Aphorisms and Reflections on Men, Morals and Things </title>
<place>London </place>
<publishedby>Thomas Maiden for Vernor and Hood, J. Cuthell, J. Walker,
Lackington, Allen, and Co. J. Nunn, Ogilvy & Son, Darton & Harvey, W.
Otridge And Son, R. Lea, And J. Scatcherd </publishedby>
<date>1800 </date>
<page>92 </page>
<collection>HathiTrust; Google Books </collection>
<scanpage>104 </scanpage>
<url>
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/njp.32101074629575?urlappend=%3Bseq=104
<accessdate>11apr2021 </accessdate>
</url>
</extract>

>From Pinkerton's 1806 _Recollections of Paris in the years 1802-3-4-5_:

<extract>
I obſerved, however, no acclamations at the proceſſion, but rather a
kind of brouhaha of curioſity and wonder.
<title>Recollections of Paris in the Years 1802-3-4-5 </title>
<place>London </place>
<publishedby>Longman, Hurst, Rees and Orme </publishedby>
<date>1806 </date>
<volume>Volume II </volume>
<page>130 </page>
<collection>HathiTrust </collection>