[Ads-l] Anecdote: These pictures are not on trial. It is the visitors who are on trial

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Tue Apr 13 19:06:03 UTC 2021

I suspect the origin of the anecdote lies in religious sermonizing.
Perhaps a biblical forebear of the anecdote sponsored it. Here's an
early iteration from the 12 Feb 1874 _The Index_ (Boston, MA),
attributed therein to the slightly earlier sermon of Rev. C.L. Thompson
in Chicago:

"So [Thompson] goes on to argue that'the Bible is not on trial before
the world--the world is on trial before the Bible'" (p 78, #88).

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015012321678?urlappend=%3Bseq=88

--
James Eric Lawson