[Ads-l] Anecdote: These pictures are not on trial. It is the visitors who are on trial

Tue Apr 13 20:37:11 UTC 2021

Thanks for your thoughtful efforts and your response, James. I think
your conjecture is insightful. Thanks for locating an 1874 precursor
citation.

In fact, while I was searching I developed the same thesis. Hence, I
included an 1890 religious precursor when I first posted the QI
article although I omitted this citation when I posted to this mailing
list.

[Begin excerpt from QI article]
A precursor in the religious domain appeared within an article by
clergyman Gerald Stanley Lee in the New York periodical “The Christian
Union” in 1890. Boldface added to excerpts by QI:

[ref] 1890 May 1, The Christian Union, Volume 41, Issue 18, For the
“Live Young Man” by Gerald Stanley Lee, Quote Page 647, Column 1, New
York, New York. (ProQuest) [/ref]

The Bible is not on trial before the young men of this century. It is
we who are on trial. Any man who stands off and tries to measure the
Bible with the petty yard-stick of his criticisms is unconsciously
measuring himself, and the more he tries the smaller his measure is.
It is not the Bible that needs young men, but young men that need the
Bible.
[End excerpt]

Garson