[Ads-l] Miscellany

Sat Apr 17 23:44:19 UTC 2021

He's _your_ fresh an' brud!

Oh!  "flesh and blood"!  I get it!

GAT

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 5:35 PM Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> > fresh an' brud
>
> That is a really *old-fashioned* style of pronunciation! Not sure that I've
> ever heard it, but I usually see it in representations of slave-speech.
>
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 1:26 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Some of you may know that long before the Internet I used to write notes
> on
> > cards.  Some of these were on matters of minor linguistic interest. (Now
> > post things immediately to the list.)
> >
> > I just found a bunch of these at the bottom of an old crate and will post
> > some here.
> >
> > For a start:
> > 1902 W. W. Naughton KIngs of the Queensberry Realm_ (Chicago:
> Continental)
> > 41: The old Donnybrook formula, "Wherever you see a head, hit it."
> >
> > II
> > 1996 Black woman, age ca.27 on _Rolanda_ (syn. TV series) (taped in NYC):
> > He's _your_ fresh an' brud!  [Clearly enunciated].
> >
> > III
> > OK, not linguistic:
> >
> > 1907 _World To-Day_ (Jan. 21): It has been shown beyond reasonable doubt
> > that all attempts at professionalizing football are likely to fail. For
> one
> > thing, the game is too dangerous for men to take up as a livelihood.
> >
> > (And that's just for one thing!)
> >
> > JL

> > The American Dialect Society -
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=DwIBaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=v2Wtu7DQZxSBMSJv-oEMNg&m=nXvIlGPaA0afSqTVKLEjLr-TWuNju_R9QmeTon-yWss&s=lHBJ0WE2_Msjg_BXCC6Ns60FtJLriUj-s6qnHk_oLXE&e=
> >

> --
> - Wilson
> -----
> -Mark Twain

> The American Dialect Society -
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=DwIBaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=v2Wtu7DQZxSBMSJv-oEMNg&m=nXvIlGPaA0afSqTVKLEjLr-TWuNju_R9QmeTon-yWss&s=lHBJ0WE2_Msjg_BXCC6Ns60FtJLriUj-s6qnHk_oLXE&e=

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851