[Ads-l] Retronym of the week: "monoamorous"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 26 00:01:29 UTC 2021

From https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/style/modern-love-polyamory-should-my-boyfriend-love-one-woman-or-three.html

Even though the concept and practice of monoamory existed before our time (or so I’ve been led to believe), it’s unlikely that the label did.  “Monoamorous” occurs four times in this short piece. Once again, both a Times archive search and the eponymous reddit site (https://twitter.com/NYT_first_said/status/1385444198720188417) confirm it’s a NYT First Said.
There are, however, a few g-hits, including this piece on Medium, https://medium.com/heart-affairs/im-an-unethical-monoamorous-polysexual-31f812aa98a, in which Teresa J. Conway comes out as, well, an unethical monoamorous polysexual.  You’re welcome.

LH