[Ads-l] Die, my dear doctor! That=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=the last thing I shall do

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Tue Apr 27 15:54:24 UTC 2021

antedating the 1883 May 17 version to December 1866

https://tinyurl.com/4vzp9whs
"Die! - why should he die? What would he get by that?" interposed Lord
Elenborough adding to the pile of jests by which men have endevouured
to keep a grim , unpleasant subject out of sight - a pile to which the
latest mot was added the other day by Lord Palmerston , who during his
late attack of gout exclaimed , playfully , · Die , my dear doctor ?
That's the last thing I think of doing.
Some interesting points here:  It attributes a quote he said "the other
day" more than a year after his death. And it was said during his "late
attack of gout", rather than during his final illness, or on his
deathbed. Wiki's account of his death doesn't indicate that he was
suffering from gout at the time. I have to wonder if the article was
written a few years earlier, while he was still alive.