[Ads-l] Phrase: [Word] is doing a lot of work

Thu Apr 29 01:13:15 UTC 2021

Science historian James Gleick asked an interesting question on
twitter a few hours ago that may be pertinent to this mailing list.

https://twitter.com/JamesGleick/status/1387525011922198529

[Begin excerpt]
I would like a lexicographer to tell me about the phrase “is doing a
lot of work there,” as applied to a word.

“The word ‘merely’ is doing a lot of work there.”

When did that start?
[End excerpt]

A scientist saw Gleick's inquiry and signaled me. Now I am relaying
this question to this mailing list.

In order to be helpful, I quickly interrogated JSTOR and found the two
matches below which I tweeted. I did not attempt to interpret this
construct, and would welcome your analysis.