[Ads-l] Phrase: [Word] is doing a lot of work

Thu Apr 29 20:19:45 UTC 2021

Thanks. Excellent citation, Stephen. The meaning of the locution is
still somewhat opaque to me, but now we know that critics have been
using it for a few decades.

I agree with LH that the insight of Geoff Nunberg would have been most
welcome on this topic.
Garson