[Ads-l] Antedating "Zilch" (1954) and "Joe Zilch" (1922) and the original "Joe Zilch" identified

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 28 06:30:09 UTC 2021

Great work, Peter. The July 1954 cite for "zilch" = 'zero, nothing' locates
the usage in the Maryland Air National Guard. Here's a cite from later that
year that identifies it as Air Force slang:

---
https://books.google.com/books?id=I1jdZ3m2uFgC&pg=RA11-PA35
_Air Force: The Magazine of American Airpower_, Sept. 1954, p. 125
"Where the Air Force Gets Its Slang" by T/Sgt. Bill Wallrich
His language rapidly becomes interlarded with such terms as "skosh" for
small or little; "T-bird" for T-33 jet trainer; and "zilch" ("He shows me
zilch") for nothing.
---

Green's Dictionary of Slang suggests the "zero" meaning can be found
in Berrey & Van den Bark's _American Thesaurus of Slang_ (1942), but as the
OED3 entry indicates, that work only defines "zilch" as "an imaginary wind
instrument." The earliest OED3 cite for this sense comes from 1925, with
the spelling "Zilsch."

Not sure how the "imaginary musical instrument" sense of "zil(s)ch" might
play into the word's semantic evolution. The 1925 cite is in a Providence
(R.I.) Sunday Journal article about college slang that uses the purported
"musical instrument" sense to explain the origin of the name "Joe
Zil(s)ch." It's possible that Berrey & Van den Bark based their "zilch"
definition on this article. The databases have articles in other newspapers
from 1925 that repeat the Providence Journal information, like this one:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/84276978/zilsch/

...but I don't see this meaning attested beyond that, so it might be a bit
of a red herring.

--bgz