[Ads-l] =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=9CTime_out=E2=80=9D_?=(active verb)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 28 15:02:09 UTC 2021

I’m not sure those particles are entirely redundant, although they may not affect the truth conditions (“what is said”) but rather the focus (how what is said is said). “Tweet out” and “report out” focus more on the goal of dissemination, where the verb specifies the means of sending it out.  I thought “comment out” was similar when I first came across it, but apparently it’s quite different, referring to turning a bit of text or code into a (side) comment, sort like if we used “footnote out” (which I don’t think we do) to mean reducing a paragraph of text to a footnote.  And the opposite of “comment out” is “uncomment”, which I like.

LH