[Ads-l] television ads for SALES

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 30 21:00:34 UTC 2021

> On Aug 30, 2021, at 2:14 PM, Marc Sacks <msacksg at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Donovan's old song
>
> On the firefly platform on Sunny Goodge Street
> Violent hash-smoker shook a chocolate machine
> Involved in an eating scene
>
> seems relevant here. A few decades later it would be an eating event, if he
> could get the rhyme down.
>
> Marc Sacks

Hmmm.  I just checked the lyrics (to confirm my memory that Donovan employed the nominalization “stonedness”, which I don’t think I’ve encountered elsewhere) and discovered a mondegreen on my part.  I always thought he was referring to a “crazy-colored goddess”, but I see the line was actually something else. This is the first verse, immediately after the part Marc quoted:

Smashing into neon streets in their stonedness
Smearing their eyes on the crazy Kali goddess
Listenin' to sounds of Mingus mellow fantastic
My, my, they sigh
My, my, they sigh

I picked up on the "Mingus mellow fantastic” (a distant relative of mellow yellow?), but not the call-out to Kali. Luckily, She didn’t exact revenge on me.