[Ads-l] "boiling the oceans"

Wed Dec 1 21:20:19 UTC 2021

Thanks for an interesting topic, Andy. Will Rogers died on August 15,
1935. A quick search indicates that several newspapers printed a piece
crediting him with the comical idea by August 26, 1935. Maybe someone
can find earlier evidence.

[ref] 1935 August 26, El Paso Herald-Post, Just the Rough Idea, Quote
Page 4, Column 1, El Paso, Texas. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
All of which reminds of a story attributed to Will Rogers. It seems
that back in 1917 when the United States was wrestling with the
problem of how to prevent German submarines from sinking U.S. ships,
Will offered to tell the navy what to do.

"It Is a well known fact," he said, "that no submarine can exist in
boiling water. So boil the ocean."

"Don't ask me how to do that," Will continued. "I'm just a cowboy. I
merely furnish the rough idea. You polish her off."
[End excerpt]

Garson