[Ads-l] Verb form of gaslight used in script of video series "Being the Ricardos" circa 1953

Thu Dec 23 13:00:58 UTC 2021

Ben Yagoda wrote a pertinent article titled "How Old Is
‘Gaslighting’?" at "The Chronicle of Higher Education" website back on
January 12, 2017.

Restricted access requiring registration / paywall
https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2017/01/12/how-old-is-gaslight/

Snapshot of article
https://web.archive.org/web/20170114192601/https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2017/01/12/how-old-is-gaslight/

[Begin excerpt]
The estimable Zimmer wasn’t done. Consulting with Josh Chetwynd,
author of Totally Scripted: Idioms, Words, and Quotes From Hollywood
to Broadway That Have Changed the English Language, which has an entry
on gaslight, he located and watched a 1952 episode of The Burns and
Allen Show called “Grace Buying Boat for George.” (It’s a tough job
but somebody’s got to do it.) Zimmer wrote, “At 16:20 in the YouTube
video, Harry (Fred Clark) says to Gracie, ‘Give him the gaslight
treatment!’ and then explains what that means. A bit later you hear
George say, ‘So they sold Gracie on the gaslight bit.’”

Still no verb, you’ll notice.
[End excerpt]

Hence, Sorkin's version of Lucille Ball would have been fine if she
had said "Don't give me the gaslight treatment."

Garson