[Ads-l] "Old Sober"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 29 20:48:35 UTC 2021

Great detective work! The role of the hyper-rhoticism of "soba" > "sober"
reminds me of the fact that children growing up rhotic (e.g. me) generally
fail to recognize that Pooh's gloomy donkey friend Eeyore is so-named
because his moniker sounds an awful lot like "hee-haw" in A. A. Milne's
native English accent.  (No eggcorn in that loss of transparency though,
unilike "O Soba" > "Old Sober".)

LH