[Ads-l] mantle fence, was RE: [ADS-L] to red-team

dave at WILTON.NET dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Feb 7 13:51:58 UTC 2021

My guess is that it is a typo for "dismantle fences."

Alternatively, "mantle fences" could refer to covering a razor/barbed wire fence with a heavy cloth or canvas to facilitate crossing over.

Googling "mantle fence" only comes up with home decorating ideas for one's fireplace.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 12:51 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] to red-team

https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/ :

“We desperately need to systematically ‘red-team’ this election so that we can anticipate and plan for the worst we know will be coming our way.”

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/red-teaming : "Red teaming is the practice of rigorously challenging plans, policies, systems and assumptions by adopting an adversarial approach. A red team may be a contracted external party or an internal group that uses strategies to encourage an outsider perspective. ... Red teaming originated with the armed forces."

Wikipedia  s.v. "Red Cell" :  "Red Teams or Red Cells are United States government terms for the National Security Co-ordination Team (NSCT). These teams or units are designed to test the effectiveness of American tactics or personnel.

"In 1984, Red Cell was formed after Richard Marcinko relinquished command of SEAL Team Six to Commander Robert Gormly. Red Cell members demonstrated the vulnerabilities of military bases and would regularly use false IDs, mantle fences, barricade buildings, take hostages, and kidnap high ranking personnel."

I can only guess at the meaning of "mantle."

Actually, I can't.

JL