[Ads-l] pull(ing) (off) a PN (Ty Cobb) stunt

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 8 17:38:55 UTC 2021

On July 23, 1870, the New York Mutuals beat up on the Chicago White
Stockings in Chicago by a score of 9-0.  In the wake of the game, the
name "Chicago" became a noun and a verb designating a scoreless game (or
sometimes just a scoreless inning).

To suffer a "Chicago" was to experience a shutout.  To be "Chicagoed"
was to be shutout.  To "Chicago" someone was to shut them out in a full
game, or sometimes just an inning.

The Mutuals had defeated Chicago 13-4 earlier that month, and the
Chicago newspapers talked a lot of smack about how badly they would beat
up on the Mutuals in the rematch.  The New York Herald announced on July
27th that "the word 'skunked' will not be used hereafter. 'chicagoed'
will be the expression to signify what has been known heretofore as
'skunked,' 'whitewashed,' 'goose egged.'  The Atlantics yesterday worked
hard to 'Chicago' their opponents, and, as may be seen, they carried out
their determination through five innings."

Ten years later, the name of Mike Kelly of the Chicago White Stockings
became synonymous with sliding into base.  When playground slides became
popular in the early 1900s, they were frequently referred to as "Kelly's
slides."

I've written about him a bit previously in a post mostly about
playground slides.

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2017/08/cellar-doors-and-trolleys-history-of.html