[Ads-l] Is "Jezebel" a racist name?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 11 15:09:32 UTC 2021

In my experience "Jezebel" (misogynist or not) is a racially neutral
term. There's no reason to believe that the evangelical pastor wouldn't
have called a white woman a "Jezebel" just as readily. I was surprised by
the article's assumption that it was racist - and that everyone with sense
knew it. That's what caught my attention: the charge of obvious racism
attached to the word as a word.

Moving from words to images, the "Black Jezebel" image doesn't seem to
differ significantly from the "White Jezebel" image.

As far as I can tell, the depersonalized "Black Jezebel" image under
discussion isn't a Jezebel *because* she's Black, which seems to be the
assumption here. She's a "Jezebel" who happens to be Black.

Words, as they say, have meanings, and it's good to know what words mean in
general use.

If someone truly feels that word X is racist (rather than simply thinking
that's what they should think), then obviously it's racist *to them.*  But
that's not enough to label the decontextualized lemma as "racist," or -
more important - to impute racism (a serious accusation) to anyone who uses
it, or used it in the past.

There can't be a very significant proportion of the population outside of
the pulpit that uses "Jezebel" seriously anyway, and discussing a word
rationally on an academic forum such as this will hardly either promote or
discourage its use.

JL