[Ads-l] Articles and letters of the alphabet

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 13 16:40:29 UTC 2021

The letter “U” starts with a /j/ sound, so “a” is preferred.

The ambiguity for a/an before some letters is, what seems to me, the rising acceptability of “a” before vowel sounds.

As for “an B”, sorry, that should have been “a B”. I changed the letter at the last minute for consistency and failed to catch that. The inconsistency I’m wondering about is why “It starts with B” is fine but “It has B” is not or at least less acceptable.

BB