[Ads-l] Heard: "bud" > _butt_

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 17 15:55:49 UTC 2021

More “butt” imperialism, after the now standard “butt-naked”.  Both “nip in the butt” and “butt-naked” are in the eggcorn database, the latter as a “nearly standard” or “nearly mainstream” reanalysis.  (http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/369/butt/).  Some contributors insist that “butt naked” is the appropriate form, to which Arnold replied:

In response to scruss… Please notice the “nearly mainsteam” label on this one, and remember that for a very good eggcorn, the people who use it are absolutely convinced they’re right.

Less standard, but also attested, is “no butts about it”, which—unlike “butt naked” and perhaps “nip it in the butt”—is harder to rationalize. (Of course it also occurs self-consciously as a pun.)

LH