[Ads-l] sporting man was Re: "shot" = 'hypodermic injection' (1889)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 18 13:58:18 UTC 2021

Without context, a  "sporting woman" predominantly meant prostitute. A
"sporting man," without context, covered various options, often unsavory,
from sportsman to gambler to pimp.

Both were euphemisms, "sporting" implying "playing" in some sense.

JL