[Ads-l] He is a rascal/scalawag/SOB, but he is our rascal/scalawag/SOB

Thu Feb 25 00:26:14 UTC 2021

Way back in 2007 Bonnie Taylor-Blake posted some great information
about the template:

He may be a _____, but he's our _____

I've been asked to explore this topic, and now there is a Quote
Investigator article:

He Is a Great Rascal. Ah! But He Is Our Rascal
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/02/24/rascal/

[Acknowledgment in the body of the article]
QI wishes to acknowledge researchers Bonnie Taylor-Blake and Barry
Popik who identified many valuable examples.
[End acknowledgment]

[Acknowledgement at the end of the article]
Great thanks to Carlos Gómez Abajo and Peter G. Epps whose inquiries
led QI to formulate this question and perform this exploration. Thanks
also to researchers Bonnie Taylor-Blake, Barry Popik, Nigel Rees, and
Fred R. Shapiro for their efforts on this topic.
[End acknowledgment]

Here are some links:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2007-August/072976.html

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/he_may_be_a_son_of_a_bitch_but_hes_our_son_of_a_bitch