[Ads-l] Hair of the dog

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 1 18:53:07 UTC 2021

The OED records the practice from the mid-18th century, but the phrase,
applied to drinking, goes back more than 200 years before that.

But though _The Kitchin-physician, or, A guide for good-housewives in
maintaining their families in health_ , by "T. K., Doctor in
Physick"(London: Samuel Lee, 1680), recommends the "hair of the dog that
bit you" as a treatment for hangover, no such advice is given "Against the
biting of a Mad-dog."

For that, "Eat sweet brier-wort, and wash the hurt with a young Childs
Piss, or with the decoction of Rhue, Figs, red-Coleworts, and Salt mingled
with honey and butter."

JL