[Ads-l] wondering about the origin of "sleigh riding" in New York

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 1 22:10:44 UTC 2021

I’ve always had the vague feeling that “sleigh” can be used to mean “sled,” whether as a noun or a verb.

The OED and Merriam-Webster say that a sleigh is “usually” drawn by horses. Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sleigh <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sleigh>) rightfully notes that it’s usually drawn by an animal, giving an example with Santa Claus.

One OED example has no horses: "At the summit we found basket-work sleighs, each constructed to hold two people, and attended by a couple of men, lashed together.” It is a “basket-work sleigh” with steel runners and is steered by men down the slope. (https://tinyurl.com/ycon7dqr <https://tinyurl.com/ycon7dqr>). There is also a "sleigh” described as being drawn by bulls/bullocks on pp 15 and 16.

The OED says that a sled is a sledge or sleigh used as a travel/recreation vehicle.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA