[Ads-l] Bozo as pejorative use of a PN?

Z Sohna zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 5 15:14:53 UTC 2021

I researched the origin of the pejorative *bozo* "idiot, stupid person,
fool" in American speech (not the journal, the actual speech) some years
ago.

The pejorative *bozo* "stupid person, simpleton, imbecile, idiot" in
American speech is an Africanism derived from the Kikongo (Angola) *βɔsɔ*
"stupid person, simpleton, imbecile, idiot, nutty".

In Native Black American language, *bozo* occurs as both a noun and an
adjective, the latter of which occurs with notable frequency.

Since the janitor which Charlie Chaplin plays in the film is indeed a
fool/imbecile, the choice of “*Bozo*” for the same character in the theater
production seems not only appropriate, but meaningful.

As it concerns preexisting literature, in Some Sources of Southernisms
(1948), Mathews attributes *bozo* to a "word among the Gullahs [used] as a
name signifying great cheapness" (Mathews 1948, 145). However Mathews'
assertion is ill-informed.

Firstly, the personal names listed by Turner did not necessarily have a
semantic meaning among the Gullah. Turner states: "My Gullah informants do
not remember the meanings of these unmarked personal names (nor the precise
meanings of most of those [names] that are marked)."  (Turner 1949, 41)

Secondly, the purported African etymon to which Mathews alludes - the Hausa
*bozo* 'great cheapness' as noted by Turner (1948, 68) in the Personal
Names section of his work - bears no semantic correspondence with *bozo*
"idiot', fool, stupid person" in Native Black American or General American
speech.

As an aside, there is an interesting potential cognate in the Kumina
language of Jamaica: *buzu, *found in the term *buzu-hed* of identical
meaning. (Compare with the US *bozohed / bozohead* of identical meaning*.*)
As discovered by the late Dr. Fu-Kiau Kia Bunseki, the vocabulary of Kumina
is largely Kikongo in origin. (The Kumina people arrived from Kongo (i.e.,
the Kingdom of Kongo), post-chattel slavery as indentured servants in
Jamaica.)

I suspect that the Kumina term is influenced (phonetically) by phonetically
similar words in General Jamaican.

Regards,
Zola Sohna

Cited works:

Mathews, Mitford M. *Some Sources of Southernisms*. Birmingham, AL:
University of Alabama Press, 1948.

Turner, Lorenzo Dow. *Africanisms in the Gullah Dialect*. Columbia, SC:
University of South Carolina, 2002.