[Ads-l] New to me: 'kayfabe'

Wed Jan 6 18:00:32 UTC 2021

Thanks for raising an interesting topic, Geoffrey. My previous post on
this topic was intended to be informative and not critical. Nice 1975
citation, Stephen.

The Wikipedia article on "Kayfabe" suggests that a 1937 citation for
"kayfabe" exists. Oddly, no precise citation is presented in the
article. Amazon lists the 1937 book "Fall Guys: The Barnums of Bounce"
by Marcus Griffin which is the most likely candidate based on the
excerpt below. I have not verified the presence of "kayfabe" in the
1937 book. Conceivably "kayfabe" was added to the later annotated
edition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe

[Begin excerpt]
The term was first documented in a 1937 book by New York sportswriter
Marcus Griffin that described some of the "behind the scenes" aspects
of professional wrestling, suggesting that the term was already in
common use in professional wrestling by that time.
[End excerpt]

Ben Zimmer's post pointed to a glossary on PWTorch.com. The entry for
"Kayfabe, Ka-Fabe" says "Dating back to carnival days" but it does not
seem to give a citation.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-July/051883.html
http://www.pwtorch.com/insiderglossary.shtml

Below is a 1958 citation which mentions a wrestling manager (who was
also a wrestler) using the stage name "Boris K. Fabian". This might
have been an inside joke.